Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Are Our Expectations Too High?

  1. #11
    Inactive Member twister!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2001
    Posts
    1,034
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Talking

    I think Thousanth must be busy playing with his new toys from Santa - tee hee!

    ------------------

  2. #12
    Inactive Member Thousanth's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2001
    Posts
    405
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hype for a film, for me, is bad. I tend to associate over hype with an attempt o cover up and sell a bad film.
    Films like Hannible, Pearl Harbor and all the Star Wars films are hyped too much and make me fear them more then anticipate them.

    I wasn't playing with Christmas presents (Mostly cuse I didn't get any, 'cuse no one cares aboue me) I was simply pouting and hating the holidays

    ------------------
    "Welcome to the Black Lagoon - Please wipe your feet."

  3. #13
    Inactive Member twister!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2001
    Posts
    1,034
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That's true. However, it's also a case that if it's excessive hype generaed by people other than the people actually involved in the film. When all reviews and opinions of friends, magazines, TV programmes, colleagues etc etc all say something is brilliant the chances are our expectation will have been set too high and will result in disappointment. It's virtually impossible to avoid though. frown

    Did you give any presents Thousanth? It's better to give than to receive...

    ------------------

  4. #14
    Inactive Member Thousanth's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2001
    Posts
    405
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Negative attention seems to have more power then hype does, and it draws me in more. I remember a couple years back all the negative attention around Stanley Kubrick's last film: Eyes Wide Shut, which made me want to see it even more and didn't derail it from a 55.6 domestic take...hmmm

    I give every year, sometimes I get broken shards of the gifts back in the mail...I don't understand it.
    ------------------
    "Welcome to the Black Lagoon - Please wipe your feet."

    [This message has been edited by Thousanth (edited December 26, 2001).]

  5. #15
    Inactive Member Red House Painter's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2001
    Posts
    134
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    One thing I have learnt from working in a video shop is that while there are many people in the world who have taste, style and a mind of there own, there are just the same amount of people who are unable to wade through the hype and publicity that surrounds the film industry and insist on renting Pearl Harbour!

    I'm sick of people asking whether certain films are any good. I can honestly tell how good a film (95% of the time) is from the sleeve on the box.



    ------------------
    If you can't stand the heat, get out of the frying pan!

  6. #16
    Inactive Member Roy Baty's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2001
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A successful movie is judged on the amount of boxoffice it generates, and if you have an average movie then you have to hype it up. So it stands to reason that most hyped films are disappointing. But good movies are hyped too and occasionally get lost in the ad mans hype machine.

    ------------------
    I want more life you f***er!

  7. #17
    Inactive Member Thousanth's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 27th, 2001
    Posts
    405
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Yes, but then 5% of what you judge by the jacket is actually good and you miss it beacuse of prejudging.

    Just remember for the filmmaker watching bad films can be just as good, or better then watching good films. Learn from others mistakes.

    I'd actually say for every 1 intelligent film viewer there is 3 people who base on hype.

    ------------------
    "Welcome to the Black Lagoon - Please wipe your feet."

  8. #18
    Inactive Member thepreacher_naric's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2001
    Posts
    54
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The question here is, what makes a movie great. Is it the more people that watch it the more successful it is ?
    Well that coincides with the marketing theory of the "mouse trap" If I have a mouse trap and someone else comes out with a mouse trap which is even better, which one will sell more. Answer: The one that is marketed better.
    These days with the life span of most movies maybe thats not the case. Maybe word of mouth has alot to do with it. Maybe the question that should be asked is, what do most people want to see in their movies. Do they want a poetic plot, great acting, something that makes them think? Or do they want something to look at so they can relax like drones. One things for sure Hollywood knows the business of movies. They will always know how to makes money cause they know how to market their product. A film called Amelie by Jean-Pierre Jeunet from France was released here recently and the movie is second to none. Most people around the world most likely will never hear of it. I am more than sure that if he created the movie from Hollywood that it would have reached most cinema's.
    So what makes a film great. Personal taste or maybe a panel of judges.

    ------------------
    The pay-off from struggle is the most sweetest revenge.

  9. #19
    Inactive Member Generic Skinhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 12th, 2001
    Posts
    1,009
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    Well people WILL here of Amelie when it sweeps the board at the oscars. It's also in virtually every top ten movies list of 2001...most often at number 1.

    ------------------
    How many bones has a body got? A child's got more bones than a grown ups got. And that's a natural law!

  10. #20
    Inactive Member thepreacher_naric's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2001
    Posts
    54
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Oh really ! Well that's how much I know.
    I thought it wasn't getting around much.

    ------------------
    The pay-off from struggle is the most sweetest revenge.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •